Manolis Kogevinas is co-Director of the Centre for Research in Environmental Epidemiology (CREAL). He graduated at the Medical School of Athens, Greece and did his PhD in Epidemiology at the University of London (1989). He worked at the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC/WHO), Lyon and at the Municipal Institute of Medical Research (IMIM) Barcelona. He was Professor of Epidemiology at the Medical School, University of Crete, Greece, and at the National School of Public Health in Athens, Greece. He served in several WHO and other expert committees evaluating the toxicity of chemicals such as dioxins and drinking water contaminants and in EU research evaluation committees. His has published more than 400 scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals. He is President of the International Society of Environmental Epidemiology (ISEE). He is the Director of the European Educational Programme in Epidemiology (EEPE-Florence course).
• Research Interests
His research focuses in the evaluation of environmental (water, air, POPs and EDCs) and occupational (circadian disruption, chemicals) exposures and their interaction with genetic factors in relation to cancer, respiratory diseases and child health. He is the coordinator of large multicentric epidemiological studies.
• Selected Publications
- Garcia-Closas M, Malats N, Silverman D, Dosemeci M, Kogevinas M, Hein DW, Tardon A, Serra C, Carrato A, Garcia-Closas R, Lloreta J, Castano-Vinyals G, Yeager M, Welch R, Chanock S, Chatterjee N, Wacholder S, Samanic C, Tora M, Fernandez F, Real FX, Rothman N. NAT2 slow acetylation, GSTM1 null genotype, and risk of bladder cancer: results from the Spanish Bladder Cancer Study and meta-analyses. Lancet. 2005; 366: 649-59.
- Kogevinas M, Zock JP, Jarvis D, Kromhout H, Lillienberg L, Plana E, Radon K, Torén K, Alliksoo A, Benke G, Blanc PD, Dahlman-Hoglund A, D'Errico A, Héry M, Kennedy S, Kunzli N, Leynaert B, Mirabelli MC, Muniozguren N, Norbäck D, Olivieri M, Payo F, Villani S, van Sprundel M, Urrutia I, Wieslander G, Sunyer J, Antó JM. Exposure to substances in the workplace and new-onset asthma: an international prospective population-based study (ECRHS-II). Lancet 2007; 307: 336-341
- Kogevinas M, Villanueva CM, Font-Ribera L, Liviac D, Bustamante M, Espinoza F,Nieuwenhuijsen MJ, Espinosa A, Fernandez P, Demarini DM, Grimalt JO, Grummt T,Marcos R. Genotoxic Effects in Swimmers Exposed to Disinfection By-products inIndoor Swimming Pools. Environ Health Perspect. 2010; 118: 1531-7
- Pedersen M, Giorgis-Allemand L, Bernard C, Aguilera I, Andersen AM, Ballester F, Beelen RM, Chatzi L, Cirach M, Danileviciute A, Dedele A, Eijsden Mv, Estarlich M, Fernández-Somoano A, Fernández MF, Forastiere F, Gehring U, Grazuleviciene R, Gruzieva O, Heude B, Hoek G, de Hoogh K, van den Hooven EH, Håberg SE, Jaddoe VW, Klümper C, Korek M, Krämer U, Lerchundi A, Lepeule J, Nafstad P, Nystad W, Patelarou E, Porta D, Postma D, Raaschou-Nielsen O, Rudnai P, Sunyer J, Stephanou E, Sørensen M, Thiering E, Tuffnell D, Varró MJ, Vrijkotte TG, Wijga A, Wilhelm M, Wright J, Nieuwenhuijsen MJ, Pershagen G, Brunekreef B, Kogevinas M, Slama R. Ambient air pollution and low birthweight: a European cohort study (ESCAPE). Lancet Respir Med. 2013 Nov;1(9):695-704
- Papantoniou K, Castaño-Vinyals G, Espinosa A, Aragonés N, Pérez-Gómez B, Burgos J, Gómez-Acebo I, Llorca J, Peiró R, Jimenez-Moleón JJ, Arredondo F, Tardón A, Pollan M, Kogevinas M. Night shift work, chronotype and prostate cancer risk in the MCC-Spain case-control study. Int J Cancer. 2015 (in press).
View publications at PubMed